Monday, July 21, 2014

Cancer Survivor Story: Jan Pederson and the Strength of Family

Ovarian cancer has affected so many lives, both those women who have been diagnosed with the disease as well as all of their families, friends, and even passing acquaintances. Though there are many thousands of stories to tell, today we’re focusing on just one: Jan Pederson, an ovarian cancer survivor of more than 10 years who shared her remarkable story of strength with cancercenter.com.


In her testimonial, Jan recounts that she first suspected ovarian cancer based on the advice of a gym friend, who listened to her symptoms and told her to schedule a doctor’s appointment as soon as possible. Her friend’s instincts were spot on: Jan had stage III ovarian cancer. “After that phone call,” jan writes, “I felt devastated and wanted to see Bruce, who was at the gym. My emotions were all over the place and I was thinking, ‘No, it can't be cancer.’ I drove to the gym and told Bruce and our friends the news from the doctor. They were also shocked and devastated and we all prayed right there. Bruce and I went home, fell into each other's arms, and just cried. Our love for each other was stronger than ever before. He stood by me the whole way.”


She says her hope was lifted when she found the Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA), which “have a team of professionals who cover every aspect of the body, mind and spirit. They treat the whole person. That was what I was looking for—a team of doctors who would work together for me, and give me hope, encouragement and strength.”


She continues:


“When I walked into CTCA at Midwestern Regional Medical Center, I knew I was in the right place. My first meeting with Dr. Sybilann Williams, who is not only a skilled gynecologic oncologist but a wonderful person, gave me her undivided attention when she spoke to me. She gave me options. I was part of the decision making and I wasn’t being treated as a number or a statistic. Dr. Williams never talked about death. She talked about fighting and winning. Those words gave me the hope I was looking for in an oncologist.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More